Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Suicide or Sell-Out? (Jesus' Dilemna)

Last night, I watched this 'amateur' music documentary, and it's probably the best I've ever seen. Well, at the least, it's the best I've seen on what it's really like to be in a band, and the struggles that go along with it. This includes questions of 'selling out,' what it means to succeed or fail, and 'why you do it.' 


[Watch it in youtube here]

Things got particularly interesting from 40:30 on, culminating at 48:11, when Randy Blythe from Lamb of God confesses that he was perfectly content to have no money when he was 25. But now that he's nearly 40, and has put 15 years into his band, it would sure be nice to have enough to have kids and maybe even own a house.

Because my brain takes weird left turns like this, a little while later I started wondering...

If Jesus would have lived past thirty, would he have sold out? Decided that money, or government, or religion weren't really that bad after all... made his peace with such satanic things... settled down with a wife and a mortgage, content that he deserved a secure life and a decent living in return for his teachings?

1 comment:

  1. I can't answer that. But I have a story (my own) about a young musician. I was in my first band at 14 and helping another a few years later. I was looking at veteran players who were incredible musicians and had been for years. They were doing ok, they had family, but all of them after 20-30 years as professional musicians were still renting. I sold out, went to tech school and learned broadcast electronics and worked my week... played some on the weekend for the next 30 years or so. So here I am at 50+ going maybe I should have been a starving musician... maybe I should have trusted for something better... maybe I am only ready now to exercise that trust. So I have a house to live in, yes I pay a mortgage, but it is less than half the rent would be. Quite honestly, I feel alive while playing in a way I don't feel any other time. Music defines me probably more than anything else does.

    So what am I saying? most of our decisions are made in our teens (early teens) about what kind of people we are, after that we spend the rest of our lives living that out. You could hear that in the video you linked with what people said. So _my_ opinion is that Christ was who he was and that by 30 his life long world view was pretty firmly established. He certainly had enough trouble, near death experiences and enough failings in his followers to have given up in the three years he was teaching openly.

    In the end, your question is exactly what we have to decide to have faith in one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete