Wednesday, September 2, 2009

No and other ambiguous words

Waiter: Would you like some coffee?
Woman: Yes, please.
Waiter: Just say when. (Starts to pour).
Woman: There. (He keeps pouring.) That's fine. (He still pours.) Stop! (She grabs the pot; there is coffee everywhere.) What are you doing? I said stop.
Waiter: Yes ma'am.
Woman: Well, why didn't you stop pouring?
Waiter: Oh, I wasn't sure you meant it.
Woman: Look, of course I meant it! I have coffee all over my lap! You nearly burned me!
Waiter: Forgive me, ma'am, but you certainly looked thirsty. I thought you wanted more.
Woman: But--
Waiter: And you must admit, you did let me start to pour.
Woman: Well, of course I did. I wanted some coffee.
Waiter: See there you go. A perfectly honest mistake.
_______________________________________
Excerpt from the play Until Someone Wakes Up, written by Carolyn Levy and a group of her students.

No comments:

Post a Comment