Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Christian death metal (and other oxymorons)

So this year I'm going to be trying to write an honours essay (like a thesis, but for undergrads) on Christian Death Metal. And yes, such a thing really does exist, and some such bands that play it are even quite good and fairly popular in the world of metal. Zao and As I Lay Dying, for instance. Stop rolling your eyes!

Anyways, the main theoretical issue I think I'm going to be grappling with is whether there's something inherent in the music that lends itself to a certain feel/message, or whether the relation between the music and the message is arbitray, so you can just just graft any discourse onto it willy-nilly.

If you're strange like me, and something in the above paragraphs pique your interest, you may want to look at what I have so far, (god knows I'll take all the feedback and help I can get!):
Rough Outline
[A far from static plan, with links to sectional drafts, thoughts, and annotated bibliographies].

As I go, I'm planning to post as much of my writing as I have, probably linked into the Rough Outline, though I may also add fresh links direct into this post. And of course, the nice thing about google documents is they automatically update, so if you're really crazy you can follow my thought and writing process all the way through to what will hopefully be the final product. Or just jump in at some random point and never look back!

If you want to witness the glory that is Christian death metal, you could do worse than to try:
Mortification - Scrolls of the Megilloth video and lyrics
Zao - Savannah live video, and lyrics


Incidentally, John Coltrane is awesome my friends, and on Blue Train he has a seriously wonderful trombonist (among others) playing alongside him. (Listening to it right now). Definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment